T20 World Cup exit sparks outrage: Australia bowlers, selectors in the dock

Australia’s bowling lineup and selection “stuff-ups” were criticized by critics following the nation’s unexpected group-stage loss in the T20 World Cup.

On Tuesday, the 2021 champions were eliminated from the T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka. Zimbabwe advanced after their match against Ireland was rained off without a ball being bowled.

Australia was unable to catch up after the washout, which awarded one point to each team and their “shambolic” campaign has drawn a lot of criticism.

Leading fast bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood were injured for Australia, and captain Mitchell Marsh missed the opening two matches after getting a groin injury during practice and bleeding from his testicles.

According to The Australian newspaper, their pace attack has been a “shadow of former glories” without Cummins, or Hazlewood, and Mitchell Starc who has retired from the T20I format.

The report reflected on better times, noting that Australia’s six T20 international matches from September 2024 to October 2025 saw them win five and draw one.

“The trouble is that a host of players who had been central to those series wins have fallen off a cliff when the stakes are at their highest.”

It mentioned series losses to India and Pakistan along with “major drops” in productivity from Josh Inglis, Xavier Bartlett, Cameron Green, Tim David, and Ben Dwarshuis. The inclusion of Cooper Connolly was criticized in the report as “throwing a lamb to the slaughter” and other selection “stuff-ups.”

Despite being in excellent form at the top of the order in the Big Bash League and having experience playing against spin bowling, Test great Steve Smith was left out. After Australia’s unexpected defeat to Zimbabwe on Friday, he was officially named to the squad over the weekend after flying in as cover last week.

“We still haven’t had a compelling answer as to why he wasn’t yet in Colombo for the match against Zimbabwe, five days after Marsh was injured in the nets,” The Australian said.

Smith was then benched for Monday’s must-win match against Sri Lanka, which resulted in an eight-wicket loss for Australia after a middle order collapse.

“We don’t have that bowling depth, and that’s really shown. We really weren’t prepared enough for this particular World Cup, and we probably deserve what we’ve got at this stage,” former Australian cricketer Brad Hogg told British sports radio Talksport.

Australia’s performance will probably put pressure on coaches and selectors, according to Hogg.

“They’ve got to plan. They’ve got to look at their depth of bowling here in Australia, especially when we lose Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc. What’s our next generation going to look (like) — that’s probably going to be the big question.”

A prayer emoji and sympathies were shared on social media by British journalist Piers Morgan, who enjoys needling Australia: “My thoughts with @CricketAus at this very difficult time.”